[cifs-protocol] CIFS/NFS performance of netapp filer vs local dir

Adam Simpkins simpkins at neopathnetworks.com
Thu Mar 1 00:58:07 GMT 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 04:34:00PM -0800, Lam Hoang wrote:
> What is your opinion (pros/cons)  on  OpenAFS filesystem ?

I don't really have much technical experience using OpenAFS from an
administrators point of view.  I used Stanford's AFS installation as
an end user while I was a student.  It seemed pretty decent on
Solaris, but the Linux OpenAFS client was just coming out and was a
little flakey.  I assume it has probably improved since then.

However, I do know of some companies who are currently trying to move
away from AFS to CIFS & NFS for a few reasons:

  - AFS is more complicated to administer.  There are also many more
    sysadmins out there who know CIFS and NFS than who know AFS.

  - There aren't many companies that provide commercial support of
    AFS.  (IBM used to sell and support their version of AFS, but they
    dropped it a couple of years ago.)

On the other hand, AFS does provide a lot of nice features like a
unified transparent namespace and volume replication, if you need
them.

--
Adam Simpkins
simpkins at neopathnetworks.com