[cifs-protocol] CIFS/NFS performance of netapp filer vs local dir

Joseph Kuan joe.kuan at itheon.com
Tue Feb 27 13:02:35 GMT 2007

As far as I know, CIFS is a wordy protocol the reason is because it is a
protocol originally designed not for many purposes.

The main reason of poor network throughput because when you open a file,
is not a simple open, read, and close. It sends lots of TRANS2 packets
and the same file open and close several times before reading the whole
files, lot of other weird network operations such as NTFS data stream
checks.

For small files, you probably see 3-10 times more packets transferred
across the wire than the NFS. I think the performance difference may
also depending on what type of file you are trying to open. For big
files, (my very wild guess) you may see the performance difference
converging to certain factor which is still more than NFS.

The difference is even more when you open a network directory.

I am in the middle of the process documenting on this issue. Will let
you know more details in near future (if you are interested).

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of viruses using SOPHOS.

http://www.itheon.com