[cifs-protocol] File Attributes in NT_CREATE_ANDX

Joseph Kuan joe.kuan at itheon.com
Tue Feb 6 20:11:10 GMT 2007

Hi,

  I use ethereal to analysis the CIFS protocol when opening a file. I
notice there are two consecutive sequence of NT_CREATE_ANDX -> READ_ANDX
-> CLOSE.

However, the first one NT_CREATE_ANDX has File Attributes: 0x00000000
and the second one has value 0x00000080. I expect both File Attributes
have values, 0x00000080, such that the bit for "Normal: This file is an
ordinary file" is set. Strangely, the one with zero value have different
label, "Normal: This file has some attribute set".

What does this mean?

Many thanks in advance.
Joe

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of viruses using SOPHOS.

http://www.itheon.com