[cifs-protocol] vim timestamp issues on CIFS mounted shares

Chris Elston chrise at source9.com
Fri Sep 1 18:07:07 GMT 2006

First: this is my first post on this list so any suggestions, let me
know.  I original sent this to the normal samba list and they sent me here.

I recently had to make the move from SMBFS to CIFS when I upgraded from
Fedora 4 to 5.  Changing settings in my /etc/fstab was easy and no
errors come up but now I'm having an issue very similar to post I found
on your list that got no response back in April:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-April/119813.html

Just as he describes in his second point, while editing a file from a
CIFS mounted share, something is confusing vim as to the timestamp of
the file and it thinks that the file has changed since my last writing.
My first write always works without a warning but all subsequent writes
produce the warning.  I can guarantee that I am in fact the only person
editing this file

This occurs regardless of what OS owns the share.  I'm experiencing the
same situation on mounted shares from a Windows 2003 server as well
another Linux server running Fedora 5 as well.  This leads me to believe
it's more a client-side issue than improperly configured shares.  To a
further point, I attempted to alter the date/time on the Windows 2003
server to both before and after the date/time on my client machine w/ no
change in situation.  I've encountered some Vim
discussions/documentation alluding to an issue on Windows relating to
daylight savings but, again, since this appears to be happening
regardless of server OS, I've again weeded that out as a cause.

This issue never occurred while using SMBFS so I can only attribute it
to the new, forced, use of CIFS.  Likewise, I'm hesitant to blame vim as
I'm not having this problem on local files or files mounted through NFS
or other means.  Here's a run-down of my specs if it helps:

OS:  Fedora Core 5 Linux
Kernel version: 2.6.17 (from 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 RPM)
Samba version: 3.0.23b (from samba.org provided RPMs)

/etc/fstab:
//SERVER/SHARE /PATHTO/MOUNTPOINT cifs
auto,setuids,user=XXX,password=XXX,gid=celston,uid=celston,dir_mode=0775,file_mode=0664        0 0

As I mentioned, the only post I found through some Google searching was
the one from above.  If this has been covered before, I apologize.  I
appreciate any feedback.

Chris Elston