[cifs-protocol] FC5 - cifs and samba - Cannot mount XP shares

Ohmster theohmster at comcast.net
Sat Oct 21 03:50:10 GMT 2006

I cannot mount my XP shared in Linux anymore since upgrading from Fedora Core 3 to Fedora Core 5. This is a real problem, can
somebody please help? Details are posted below.

I need help to mount XP shares on Fedora Core 5 because smbfs is no longer supported in FC5. If line wrap makes this post hard to
read, I have a copy on the web with proper formatting here: http://www.ohmster.com/post.txt

I have a new problem with my FC5 system, I have installed that because my FC3 system was getting long in the tooth. I was always
able to mount my XP shares with samba and now, apparently, that is not possible anymore with Fedora Core 5. It seems that smbfs has
been replaced with cifs. Okay, let's give it a try then. It should work, right?

[root at ohmster cifs]# mount -t cifs //missy/MY_vids_01 /mnt/MY_vid_01 -o
myusername=myuser,password=mypassword,rw
mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
[root at ohmster cifs]#

Huh? Memory? Okay, how about verbose then...

[root at ohmster cifs]# mount -t cifs //missy/MY_vids_01 /mnt/MY_vid_01 --
verbose -o myusername=myuser,password=mypassword,rw
parsing options: rw,myusername=myuser,password=mypassword

mount.cifs kernel mount options unc=//missy\MY_vids_01,ip=
192.168.0.3,ver=1,rw,myusername=myuser,password=mypassword
mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
[root at ohmster cifs]#

Same thing if I try it with fstab...

[root at ohmster cifs]# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                      ext3    defaults        1
1
/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 /mnt/old_sys           ext3    defaults        1
1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1
2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0
0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0
0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0
0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0
0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                   swap    defaults        0
0
//missy/MY_vids_01  /mnt/MY_vid_01     cifs
username=myuser,password=mypassword,uid=500,gid=500  0  0
//missy/MY_vids_02  /mnt/MY_vid_02     cifs
username=myuser,password=mypassword,uid=500,gid=500  0  0
[root at ohmster cifs]#

[root at ohmster cifs]# mount -a
mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
[root at ohmster cifs]#

I have googled till I am blue in the face and I cannot find any decent posts as to what this error is all about and what can be done
to fix it. This is a shame too because on the few posts that I have found on this, the people just substituted cifs for smbfs and
all was well, but it won't work for me.  This worked so well with smbfs, no problem at all, it all just worked. Now with FC5, smbfs
is not a known file system.

[root at ohmster cifs]# mount -t smbfs //missy/MY_vids_01 /mnt/MY_vid_01 -o
username=myuser,password=mypassword,rw
mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'
[root at ohmster cifs]#

So what do I do about this? I have no clue as to how to do a simple thing like mount an XP share anymore in Fedora Core 5. This is
so sad. What is interesting is that nautilus can connect to the server, I get a dialog box where I can put my user name, workgroup
(Domain), and password and then I connect to the XP computer, and right there, are icons for all of the shares. I then click on one
and get "The folder contents could not be displayed" for any one of them. None of these shares have changed since Fedora Core 3,
like my mp3 folder on XP. Now because smbfs is not supported, I cannot get to the shares at all anymore in Linux.

My Setup:
Comcast cable modem to FC3 box via eth0
FC5 box: PIII with nvidia card, two 200Gb IDE hard drives as LVM drives,
1.5Gb SDRAM
eth1 to switch
switch to two XP Pro machines

FC5 machine provides connectivity to Comcast modem, shares Internet with XP machines, dhcp gives XP machines NAT addresses, provides
firewall, http server (3 FQDNS), and FTP server.

So what happened in FC5 now that I can no longer mount XP shares? I googled so much for this and found many results like where the
person changed smbfs to cifs in their mount and fstab lines and everything worked just fine, I expected the same but no, I get
"mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory". Tried rebooting with the shares to mount in fstab, same thing during boot, cannot
allocate memory, FAILED.

What memory? What the hell is this machine talking about? I don't care about memory, I just want to mount my XP shares! This
business about the man page:

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Okay, I have a look, nothing about allocating any kind of memory. Somebody please help, I am tired now and give up, I have no more
places to look for answers. Thank you for reading and even more thanks if you can help.