[cifs-protocol] Identifying Matching Share Subtrees

Scott Goldstein Scott.Goldstein at bluejungle.com
Fri Apr 28 20:35:15 GMT 2006

Suppose on a machine (Windows in this case) that the following file
shares exist:

1.	C:\Public shared as Public
2.	C:\Public\foo shared as Nested

In this case, everything in \\Machine\Public\foo\**
<file:///\\Machine\Public\foo\**>  is the same as \\Machine\Nested\**
<file:///\\Machine\Nested\**>

Using CIFS, I would like to identify such situations ("matching share
subtrees") for a particular machine.  In order to do this, I think I
would need the following:

1.	To be able to determine local path information on the remote
server (e.g. discover c:\Public from the share \\Machine\Public
<file:///\\Machine\Public> )
2.	To be able to retrieve a unique identifier for a particular
folder such that if I navigated to the same folder from two different
share paths, I could conclude they were pointing to the same local path
on the machine

Is either of these two methods possible through CIFS?  Is there another
way to retrieve the information I'm looking for through CIFS?

Thank you for your help.

Scott