[ccache] Migrating to ccache 4: a "drop-in replacement"?

Joel Rosdahl joel at rosdahl.net
Tue Dec 8 20:39:28 UTC 2020

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 at 22:55, Steffen Dettmer via ccache
<ccache at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> I just tested with ccache 3.7.12 and "ccache -s" that it seems to work as I
> expect

Cool, my memory was wrong about this! Or alternatively, it might be that the
final implementation of the config file handling did not become what I first
had planned since the manual has documented the behavior I described since
added in 2012:
https://github.com/ccache/ccache/commit/99396f88#diff-426db03993d0f56a62aa3f8976b22d2424d152c49b1cb4c893e71b151d0f846cR242-R246

Hopefully improved in <https://github.com/ccache/ccache/commit/a0c3aa52>.

> Thank you for sharing your expertise! Although not ccache specific,
> I'm glad to get your input because your input usually is just great!
> [...systemd...]

It was just a tongue-in-cheek jab at your tongue-in-cheek characterization of
XDG. I have nothing in particular against not using systemd, but I find it
convenient that it has become the norm (and as a Debian developer I didn't vote
against choosing systemd). Let's stop here.

-- Joel