[ccache] Speeding up builds with clang-tidy, clang-analyzer and iwyu

Christian Ledergerber christian.ledergerber at ecorobotix.com
Mon Dec 7 07:15:35 UTC 2020

Hi Steffen,

I was in the same situation as you, porting / cleaning up a legacy code base to use clang-tidy. Except that the legacy code base was only a year old.

I ended up writing the following wrapper to cmake's add_executable and add_library:

function(add_executable_with_checks)
    set(options
            DISABLE_CLANG_TIDY_READABILITY
            DISABLE_CLANG_TIDY_MODERNIZE
            DISABLE_CLANG_TIDY_NAMING_CONVENTION
            DISABLE_CLANG_TIDY_BUGPRONE
            DISABLE_CLANG_ANALYZER
            DISABLE_CLANG_TIDY_CPP_CORE_GUIDELINES
            DISABLE_COMPILER_ERROR)
    set(oneValueArgs PROJECT_NAME)
    set(multiValueArgs
            SOURCES
            HEADERS)
    cmake_parse_arguments(ARG "${options}" "${oneValueArgs}" "${multiValueArgs}" ${ARGN})

    add_executable(${ARG_PROJECT_NAME} ${ARG_SOURCES})

endfunction()

this allows me to mix "ugly" code with "pretty" code in the same project in a very flexible manner on a module / library basis. Any module for which one of the things has been cleaned up we enable the automatic check and hence never go backwards. This way at least I got clang-format into place and most of the code is now using some form of clang-tidy checking.

Thanks for your idea on the wrapper script. Did you end up trying it? I still plan to attack this problem one day, but the wrapper script sounds a lot easier.
I guess the drawback is that things are not recompiled if you change the clang-tidy configuration. But maybe this can be fixed somehow or we could live with this.

Christian