[ccache] ccache on generated C++ files...

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at tuxoid.at
Tue Jun 25 21:24:42 UTC 2019

On 25/06/2019 00:28, Malfettone, Kris via ccache wrote:
> So what I seem to be observing is only when I do a ninja -t clean or make clean.  This removes all of my generated files (.h and .cpp files) and of course the normal build outputs.  A subsequent run is then mostly cache misses.   If I say manually do a rm $(find -name "*.o") then I get a 100% cache hit rate.  I had assumed it was due to the fact that the generated files would have a newer mtime and ctime.  My assumption must be wrong.

TTBOMK ccache ignores mtime/ctime/... (as make/ninja/... use that anyway
before) but only the preprocessed content matters.

IIUC, the `make clean` removes all *.o and all generated .h/.c/.hpp/.cpp
files.
The rm $(find -name "*.o") removes only *.o.

So the analysis above is at least incomplete.

Are you really sure the newly generated .h/.c/.hpp/.cpp files are
identical (enough)?
No static variables or expanded preprocessor #defines with the build
date+time or similar in there?

[ Fullquote deleted ]
MfG,
	Bernd