[ccache] Help with adding support to custom language

Joel Rosdahl joel at rosdahl.net
Fri Jan 4 07:51:04 UTC 2019

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 23:02, Andre Calfa <aacalfa at arista.com> wrote:
> One of the motivations is that our current compiler cache is only supported
> locally for each build server. In some cases the compilation of a single
> input file takes a long time due to its size, and we cannot avoid its
> compilation when the correct cached cpp and h are located in a different
> build server. So if we can take advantage of using a distributed approach
> which ccache supports, that would be great.

No, ccache does not support distributed compilation, unless you use a cache
directory shared over the network (e.g. using NFS), which I assume you could
use for your compiler cache as well. Are you thinking about sccache, distcc or
Icecream?

> Unfortunately our compiler is not GCC like, as our flags are not analogous to
> the GCC ones. I am guessing this would require lots of changes in ccache code
> to make it work then?

Yes, to the point that it will be an almost completely different program.

-- Joel