[ccache] Swift Support?

Anders Björklund anders at ecsit.se
Sun May 28 20:22:34 UTC 2017

Jimmy Yue wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody in this list has tried support swift and maybe
> even ibtool. I'm looking to implement this myself if there's a gap here,
> but if anybody has tried it before and ran into problems I'd love to know.

I think the only thing Swift has in common with C++ are the slow compile
times, or else I'm missing something. Interface Builder is even further.

But maybe you mean that it could use a similar (memoization) approach ?

We had a similar question before, but I think that it went unanswered...
https://lists.samba.org/archive/ccache/2016q3/001465.html

I think it *could* probably be done, but it would look a lot different.

The first step would be to get a list of all the file dependencies.
There is no preprocessor, so no need to worry about (just modules)

Apparently there is a "swiftc -emit-dependencies" (output depends),
maybe the .d files could be parsed to generate something useful ?

Might be some similarities to https://github.com/ccache/ccache/pull/130

And it would probably make for a separate program/project, as well...

Even the Objective-C stuff (i.e. modules) is getting hard to support.

/Anders