[ccache] Theoretical question regarding ccache

Aashaka Shah aashaka96 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 10:25:03 UTC 2017

Hi,

I recently came across ccache as I have an assignment to think of a novel
compiler design or related problem, and having a cache for compilers was
the first thing that came to my mind. I thought of trying it out on
QuantLib, a financial computation library.

I would like to know

1. Why multiple source files cannot take advantage of ccache ( Why other
types of compilations (multi-file compilation, linking, etc) will silently
fall back to running the real compiler)
2. Where in the memory hierarchy(cache, main memory?) does the ccache
output reside? Does it work according to the default replacement policies
of the hardware cache?

Thanks for your patience in reading this through!

Regards,
Aashaka