[ccache] Migration from autotools to cmake

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Jul 19 17:50:21 UTC 2016

On 19 Jul 2016 18:17, Joel Rosdahl wrote:
> On 12 July 2016 at 12:03, Иван Вайгульт <i.vaigult at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In order to enable visual studio build I did full build replica using
> > cmake. [...]
> > Any feedback from you is desired.
>
> Thanks for working on this.
>
> After some thinking I'm positive to getting rid of autotools. Although
> I don't find cmake to be very elegant, it feels less bad than
> autotools, at least for modern systems.
>
> Other opinions from list members are welcome!

cmake is often still broken when it comes to cross-compiling (and even
native compiles) and library searches.  many of its modules do stupid
things like check to see if libs can be found in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64
instead of doing link tests.  the FindZLIB module still exhibits these
and that branch is using that module.

conversely, autotools has no such insanity.

glancing at the branch:
 - CMakeLists.txt/*.cmake have inconsistent indentation (tab-vs-spaces)
 - CMakeLists.txt/*.cmake should have no trailing whitespace
 - DEVELOPER_BUILD should not default to "on"
 - `git describe` should not be run when DEVELOPER_BUILD is off
 - CCACHE_VERSION fallback should not be "unknown" but the release version
 - USE_OWN_LIBZ would prob be better named like "USE_SYSTEM_LIBZ"
-mike