[ccache] explanation of ccache stats

Joel Rosdahl joel at rosdahl.net
Wed Mar 16 07:50:07 UTC 2016

On 14 March 2016 at 22:18, Stéphane Charette <stephanecharette at gmail.com>
wrote:

What I'm looking for now is an explanation of all the stats field when
> I run --show-stats. [...] Didn't see these things explained in the
> documentation.  Is there a web page that explains the statistics?

No, there's no such documentation. (Other than the source code. ;-)) But it
would be good to have.

But I'm looking for explanations of the differences between things
> like "cache hit direct" and "cache hit preprocessed".  And "no input file".

"cache hit (direct)": Cache hit when using the direct mode
<https://ccache.samba.org/manual.html#_the_direct_mode> (faster).
"cache hit (preprocessed)": Cache hit when using the preprocessor mode
<https://ccache.samba.org/manual.html#_the_preprocessor_mode> (slower).
"no input file": ccache didn't detect any input source code file. For
example, this happens when you run "ccache gcc --version".

-- Joel