[ccache] ccacje direct mode without fall back to running the preprocessor

vkr venkatakrishnarao.ks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 19:32:10 UTC 2015

Sorry. It is not the manifest file that it tries to update. But the ".d"
files. I think it is a real bug.

In read-only mode, when ccache tries to run cache look up in preprocessor
mode, it tries to put_file_in_cache for .d file unconditionally.

        if (generating_dependencies && mode == FROMCACHE_CPP_MODE) {
                put_file_in_cache(output_dep, cached_dep);
        }

This is buggy, as it should check also check we are in
read-only/read-only-direct mode, like so:

if (generating_dependencies && mode == FROMCACHE_CPP_MODE &&
(!conf->read_only && !conf->read_only_direct)) {

Or even better, if put_file_in_cache returns if we are in
read-only/read-only-direct mode, which should fix more such hidden cases,
in future.

What do you think? Which one is better?

regards,
Venkat.