[ccache] BSDiff for cache objects

Andrew Stubbs ams at codesourcery.com
Mon Nov 12 08:01:12 MST 2012

On 12/11/12 14:08, Bogdan Harjoc wrote:
> No but there is room for improvement. This could be optional, like a
> CCACHE_COMPRESS that saves 99% instead of 40% when I routinely recompile 20
> kernel branches, for example (v2.6.x, 3.0.x, 3.4.x, -git, -next, -ubuntu,
> etc).

I realise that the more diverged the branches are, the fewer exact cache
hits you will get, but there still should be a lot of overlap here.
However, if you're building the branches in different directories and
using absolute paths then you might be missing out on potential cache
sharing (without any binary differences).

Are you familiar with CCACHE_BASEDIR?

Andrew