[ccache] Why not cache compile failures?

Joel Rosdahl joel at rosdahl.net
Sat Sep 22 06:13:17 MDT 2012

On 18 September 2012 14:16, Andrew Stubbs <ams at codesourcery.com> wrote:
> I'm aware that there's some danger here that we can end up caching Ctrl-C
> interrupts, SIGTERM/SIGKILL terminations, out-of-memory failures, and all
> manner of other non-reproducible failures, but these are the unusual case,
> and nothing that can't be fixed with CCACHE_RECACHE.

I would be OK with caching failures if it's off by default and doesn't
affect the default's performance. Have you thought about how to store
the exit code in the cache?

> I might suggest emitting an extra warning message that informs the user that
> they are seeing a cached failure.

Printing an extra warning message would break ccache's transparency,
but perhaps that would be acceptable for failures. Have to think more
about it.

-- Joel