[ccache] ccache problem with CCACHE_BASEDIR

Joel Rosdahl joel at rosdahl.net
Fri Jul 20 11:09:30 MDT 2012

On 19 July 2012 21:21, Eric Blau <eric.blau at tekelec.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the slow response, but I have a patch attached for this issue.
> Please let me know if you have any comments.

Thanks. Two things:

1. The patch canonicalizes the "from" parameter, but I think that the
"to" parameter should be canonicalized as well, for two reasons: a)
realpath() expands symlinks, and comparing (see
common_dir_prefix_length) an expanded path with an unexpanded path
won't work well when symlinks are present. b) The "to" parameter
(which for instance may be a path given on the command line) could
also contain path elements that could benefit from canonicalization
(to increase cache hits).

2. The patch canonicalizes the "from" parameter every time
get_relative_path is called, which is unnecessary since it's always
the same. Therefore, as mentioned earlier, I think that its' better to
do the canonicalization in make_relative_path where
current_working_dir can be canonicalized when created.

-- Joel