[ccache] What to do when there are problems writing to the cache directory?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Jan 9 21:32:15 MST 2012

On 9 January 2012 22:34, Joel Rosdahl <joel at rosdahl.net> wrote:
> On the other hand, my general opinion is that tools should not fail
> silently. As a ccache user, I would like to be informed if something
> is badly configured, for instance if the cache directory is unwritable
> by me, so that I get alerted that something is wrong.
>
> What do you think?

I agree with the general approach.

I suspect a common case where people hit this is something like 'make
&& sudo make install' which can end up with some files being owned by
a different user.  In a sense they ought to fix this but perhaps many
people would prefer to just have some stuff uncached.

I would be inclined to at least give a suppressible warning rather
than just silently falling back.

--
Martin