[ccache] How to support another compiler?

Zhou, Yang Yang.Zhou at Polycom.com
Thu Nov 17 20:52:40 MST 2011

Hi Martin,

Thanks for help. I'm using cl6x from Texas Instruments, it's used for TI C6000 DSPs.

Best Regards,
Yang Zhou

-----Original Message-----
From: martinpool at gmail.com [mailto:martinpool at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Martin Pool
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 11:48 AM
To: Zhou, Yang
Cc: ccache at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [ccache] How to support another compiler?

On 18 November 2011 14:34, Zhou, Yang <Yang.Zhou at polycom.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to use ccache to optimize the compilation of my project. However, another compiler(not gcc) is used for the compilation. The compiler options are different from those of gcc. But I think the compilation process should be similar.
> I tried to compile with ccache, from the log, every time the manifest file can't be found, and can't find the object file in manifest. After that, preprocessor runs, and got object file hash from preprocessor, but the object file is not in cache.

> So the real compiler runs every time.
> Seems the results of real compilation are not stored into the cache.

If the command line arguments are different that's not surprising.

> Do you think it's possible to change ccache source code to support the my compiler?

Yes.

> If possible, which part of code should be updated? Thanks a lot!

The parts that deal with compiler argument parsing.

Probably you will want to introduce an object layer that describes
different compilers, and an environment variable to switch between
them.

What's the other compiler you are using?