[ccache] Duplicate object files in the ccache - possible optimization?

Frank Klotz frank.klotz at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Nov 7 19:03:43 MST 2011

  On 11/07/2011 10:55 AM, Justin Lebar wrote:
>> Looking at a ccache with about 40,000 .o files in it (created with direct
>> mode turned on); of the 55 largest files, I found 11 pairs and one triplet
>> of identical object files.  That's almost 25% of redundant storage that
>> could have been avoided by looking at the preprocessed hash when there is no
>> hit in direct mode.
> It's much more interesting to look at the whole cache, I think.
>
> $ find -name '*.o' -type f | wc -l
> 39312
> jlebar at turing:~/.ccache$ find -name '*.o' -type f | xargs -P16 sha1sum
> | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | sort | uniq -d | wc -l
> 1230
>
> So it looks like there's some duplication on my machine, but not a
> ton.  I'd be curious if you got significantly different numbers.
Hi Justin,

Here's what I got:

 > find -name '*.o' -type f | wc -l
43507
 > find -name '*.o' -type f | xargs -P16 sha1sum | cut -f 1 -d ' ' |
sort | uniq -d | wc -l
13087

I would say the difference is significant - you got 3%, while I got 30%.

This is in a project environment where we have fairly fast churn in a
number of widely-used header files, and I am guessing that the changes
in those files often consist of addition of or changes to macros and
constants that are not used in all the files where the header files get
included.

Now I am more than ready to agree that there is room for improvement in
the design and implementation of the header file layouts here, and we
are working on that; but at the same time it looks to me like a fairly
straightforward enhancement to ccache could give us some performance
boost here.  Since ccache already knows how to do preprocessed hashes, I
think all I am looking to do is to have it use that existing code when
the direct mode hash doesn't get a hit.  Then put both hash names on the
resulting object file, and voila: better hit rates and more unique files
in the cache.

It would be interesting to know if many others see anything at all
similar to the numbers I have here (i.e., lots of people could use the
enhancement I am suggesting), of if there is something unique about this
environment that leads to this much duplication in the cache.

Thanks,
Frank