[ccache] basename of source file in hashed name in ccache

Frank Klotz frank.klotz at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Nov 4 18:26:06 MDT 2011

  I used ccache at my previous employer, and was very convinced of its
value.  Now that I have started a new job, I am in the process of trying
to bring the new shop on board with ccache, so I am really digging into
how it works.  I have downloaded ccache 3.1.6, built and installed it,
and I am playing with it.

One thing puzzles me.  At my previous job, I remember quite clearly (and
I just confirmed with a colleague who is still there) that the file
names in the cache contained BOTH the hash AND the basename of the
object file.  (E.g., if the file would be pulled out of the cache into
the user's directory as foo.o, its name in the cache included both a
nice long hash string AND the string "foo.o".

In contrast, with my download of 3.1.6, I see anonymous files in the
cache, with JUST the hash (and another string that the ccache code
refers to as "size", although I can't quite figure out what it's the
size OF) in the filename.  No obvious way to connect files in the hash
to their basenames.

One place we found the basenames invaluable was tracking down a
corrupted object file in the cache.  Once we confirmed that we had a
corrupt object file foo.o, we simple searched for all "*foo.o" files in
the cache, compared those in size and content to an actual corrupted
object file in the user directory, and easily removed the corrupted file
from the cache.  Much harder (not impossible, but harder) to do this
without the basenames.

But it's odd to me that an older version of ccache had this feature but
3.1.6 does not.  Was this feature ever on the mainline of ccache
development.  If so, it must have been removed for a reason - does
anyone know what that reason WAS?  I suppose it is possible that this
was a local enhancement, added and maintained by someone at my former
employer (a large telecom firm) but never passed back to the central
repository (or offered but not accepted?).

Anyway, is there a general consensus on whether this would be valuable?
How would we go about adding it?

Thanks,
Frank Klotz