[ccache] problems with buildworld & gcc45 on ports

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Thu Jun 23 22:40:08 MDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Joel Rosdahl <joel at rosdahl.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2011-06-21 20:29, Beeblebrox wrote:
> > [...FreeBSD-specific questions...]
>
> You will will probably get better answers to these questions on some
> FreeBSD list. At least I don't know much about FreeBSD. I have one
> comment, though:
>
> > 2. Is is necessary to include cpp in the 1st conditional, or does ccache
> > detect the correct pre-processor on its own from here? (I have created
> the
> >  symlinks)
> > CPP:=${CPP:cpp45,/usr/local/libexec/ccache/world/cpp45,1}
>
> ccache only understands how to cache object files when invoked as the
> compiler -- using ccache with cpp will only result in a slightly slower
> build. So: it's not necessary and not recommended.
>
> Here are some general tips on troubleshooting ccache:
> http://ccache.samba.org/manual.html#_troubleshooting
>
> -- Joel

Thanks for the answer.  The main question has been posted on a forum for a
while, and judging from the number of views / hits the post has had, this
appears to be a broader issue.  I have also gone through the ccache manual
many times, to the best of my current ability, without success.  The post in
question:

Also, one Major question I have is: does ccache handle a dual-gcc-setup (I
suppose It should)  without problems and what is the correct syntax for the
gcc45 section?

Thanks