[ccache] ccache for MSVC

Frerich Raabe raabe at froglogic.com
Wed Dec 22 08:53:22 MST 2010

Hi,

I've been a happy ccache user for years now, so first of all I'd like to
say thank you for the countless hours of compilation time you saved me. :-)

Unfortunately, quite a bit of my development work in the office has to
be done on Windows machines using the Microsoft Visual Studio compilers.
I've always longed for something like ccache for MSVC but never found
anything which worked as good as I had hoped. I saw that there's a patch
to build ccache for MSVC
(http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/ccache/) but that never seemed
to work for me.

Eventually, I decided to just write something like ccache myself. By
now, I have a Python program which works pretty much like ccache. It's a
drop-in replacement for cl.exe and attempts to reuse previously cached
object files (and compiler output).

It's still pretty rough (and there are just three users of the script
right now) but I've been using it myself for some days now and it seems
to work okayish. In case anybody is interested in something like this,
feel free to fetch clcache.py from

   https://github.com/frerich/clcache

and give it a spin. I'd love to get feedback. :-)

P.S.: I'm (currently) not subscribed to this mailinglist, so it would be
much appreciated if you could CC me on any replies just in case I
overlook them.

Frerich Raabe - raabe at froglogic.com
www.froglogic.com - Multi-Platform GUI Testing