[ccache] Using ccache with memcached

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Nov 24 22:16:46 MST 2010

On 25 November 2010 00:52, Henrik Goldman <hg at x-formation.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if anyone ever considered using memcached as an optional backend
> for ccached?
>
> Here is the issue we're considering. In our C++ project we have a number of
> developers doing their own local compilations. When any updates occurs (e.g.
> they update to the latest source code from scm) the compilations are the
> same for all the machines. Sure ccache is great when you re-do the
> compilation, but here the compilation being re-done on a number of machines.
> Using memcached would allow us to have a truly distributed cache that would
> both help developers and machines in the build farm to speed up work.
>
> What do you guys think?

I think it would be a pretty interesting idea.

Obviously you would need to trust all the other clients writing into
the cache, but that's probably feasible in this environment.

A shared cache kept entirely in ram might grow fairly big, but it's
not so expensive to get an 8GB or 16GB machine devoted to this.

--
Martin