[ccache] Questions about two hot functions in ccache

Justin Lebar justin.lebar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 01:45:08 MDT 2010

Skimming the VHASH paper, it looks like it runs at about 1 cycle per
byte on a 64-bit Core 2 Merom machine when generating a 128-bit
digest.  (They don't have timings for 32-bit x86.)  It looks like they
just run the hash algorithm twice (with different keys) to generate a
128-bit digest.

I couldn't find great numbers on MD4, but [1] says 3.8cpb on really
old hardware.  Who knows what that would be today.

-Justin

[1] http://books.google.com/books?id=Xq4M8YTSeloC&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=md4+cpb&source=bl&ots=rtrQSLDtoG&sig=bh0mr2SN9_p0NCEF6_ZmxoadTTw&hl=en&ei=C52-TLXZPIuyngfy8f3JBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=md4%20cpb&f=false