[ccache] Can cache size affect performance?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Oct 18 19:36:23 MDT 2010

On 19 October 2010 03:38, Andrew Eikum <aeikum at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> (I'm not subscribed to this list, so please leave me in cc: list.)
>
> Hi list,
>
> I've looked through the manpage and web site and didn't find a direct answer
> to this question.
>
> In short, my question is: is there any reason /not/ to tell ccache to cache
> absolutely everything forever, other than using large amounts of disk space?
>  This probably depends somewhat on the filesystem being used, so let's
> assume a common end-user filesystem such as ext3.

No, probably not.  (ext3 is not quite perfectly scalable as size
grows, but I think that will be the main limit.)

Perhaps expiry will get slower as the cache grows?

It seems likely you will get diminishing returns, eg files being
cached that were built by compilers that are no longer installed and
never likely to get installed again.

--
Martin