[ccache] ccache version 3.1 has been released
joel at rosdahl.net
Thu Sep 16 11:30:39 MDT 2010
I'm happy to announce ccache version 3.1, which contains new features
and some bug fixes.
Details may be read in the release notes:
Source archives are available here:
The source archives have been signed with my OpenPGP key (BB845E97):
You can run "gpg --verify ccache-3.1.tar.*.asc" to check the source
archive integrity after download.
Changes since version 3.0.1:
New features and improvements:
- Added support for hashing the output of a custom command (e.g.
"$compiler --version") to identify the compiler instead of stat-ing
or hashing the compiler binary. This can improve robustness when the
compiler (as seen by ccache) actually isn't the real compiler but
another compiler wrapper.
- Added support for caching compilations that use precompiled headers.
(See the manual for important instructions regarding this.)
- Locking of the files containing statistics counters is now done
using symlinks instead of POSIX locks. This should make ccache
behave a lot better on file systems where POSIX locks are slow or
broken (e.g. NFS on some systems).
- Manifest files are now updated without the need of taking locks.
- Updates of statistics counters are now always done in one of the
sub-level statistics files. This reduces lock contention, which
especially improves performance on slow NFS mounts.
- Reading and writing of statistics counters has been made
forward-compatible (unknown counters are retained).
- Files are now read without using mmap(). This has two benefits: it's
more robust against file changes during reading and it improves
performance on poor systems where mmap() doesn't use the disk cache.
- Added ".cp" and ".CP" as known C++ suffixes.
- Improved logging.
- Added "-install_name" as an option known to take an argument. (This
improves statistics when using the Darwin linker.)
- Non-fatal error messages are now never printed to stderr but logged
- Fixed a bug affecting failing commands when "--ccache-skip" is used.
- Made "--ccache-skip" work for all options.
- EINTR is now handled correctly.
- Work on porting ccache to win32 (native), mostly done by Ramiro
Polla. The port is not yet finished, but will hopefully be complete
in some subsequent release.
- Added a "--nostats" flag to the performance benchmark program.
- Made the performance benchmark program more accurate when measuring
- Added a new test framework for unit tests written in C.
- Got rid of "configure-dev"; dev mode is now given by "dev.mk.in"
- Improved documentation on how to combine ccache with other compiler
wrappers (like "distcc").
- New "LICENSE.txt" file with licensing and copyright details about
bundled source code.
- New "AUTHORS.txt" file with a list of ccache contributors.
- New "HACKING.txt" file with some notes about ccache code
More information about the ccache