[ccache] Bail out on -arch?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue May 11 03:04:02 MDT 2010

On 11 May 2010 10:47, Bernhard Bauer <bauerb at chromium.org> wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> I'm currently trying to get ccache to work under Mac OS X for the
> Chromium build. In ccache 3.0pre1, there is a change to bail out early
> on the -arch flag, which is used by xcodebuild (the standard OS X
> build tool), because it's "too hard". What do you mean by that? Is
> there a way to accept the flag if I know that I'm always compiling
> with the same -arch option (i.e. i386)? So far I have been using
> ccache with -arch without any problems.

I don't know in detail but the manpage says

       FSF GCC on Darwin does not create "fat" object files; it will
create an object file for the single architecture that it was built
       to target.  Apple's GCC on Darwin does create "fat" files if
multiple -arch options are used; it does so by running the compiler or
       linker multiple times and joining the results together with lipo.

that sounds potentially complex to me.  Perhaps ccache could at least
cope with at least the case where only one is given.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>