[ccache] Performance of a network-shared ccache

DATACOM - Samuel Lucas samuellucas at datacom.ind.br
Tue May 4 07:20:56 MDT 2010

Hi Steffen,

I have tried both ccache 2.4 (from debian) and 3.0pre0.

Version 2.4 was unusable for me, it used over 20Mbps for a single user
compiling (regardless of cache hit or miss, it creates large temporary
files in the cache directory).

Version 3.0pre0 worked well after setting CCACHE_TEMPDIR to a local path
(/tmp) and CCACHE_DIR to the NFS shared directory. It now uses nearly
the bandwidth required to transfer the object files, as expected.  We
have 20 developers using this shared cache, but not everybody is
compiling at the same time.

Regards,

 - Samuel