[ccache] Compression on or off by default?

Joel Rosdahl joel at rosdahl.net
Thu Mar 4 14:30:23 MST 2010

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:39:47 +0000
"Dalton, Tom" <tdalton at hp.com> wrote:

> I would say for the first release of a new feature, default it to off. That
> gives people a chance to 'play' with it without potentially breaking existing
> installations that are simply upgrading. If there are no major problems with
> the feature in that first release then make it a default in the next release
> after that (e.g. ccache-3.1).

The compression feature is actually quite well-tested: it has been enabled by
default in Debian's ccache packages since 2007. But I'm leaning on disabling
compression by default for ccache anyway. Score so far: 4 votes (2 off-list)
for "default to off" and 0 votes for "default to on".

My direct mode feature, on the other hand, is a much larger and less tested
change, which I'm very well aware of. My secret plan was to try to get people
to test my first announced release, and now the 3.0pre0 release, but neither
release has triggered much reaction. So, maybe 3.0 will have to have direct
mode disabled by default, unless I find a way to get more testers. :-)
(Opinions are welcome, as usual.)

-- Joel