[ccache] GPLv3 (was: Release plan)

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Mar 1 20:50:50 MST 2010

Hi Joel,

 > However, if upgrading, I would also prefer to relicense the "core ccache
 > files", so that the blurb at the top of those files says GPLv3+ to avoid
 > confusion. My understanding is that I need consent from all copyright holders
 > (10-15 people if you count all contributors) to do this. Am I correct? If so,
 > it seems easier to just stick with GPLv2+.

You only need consent if any of the previous contributions did not
have a "or (at your option) any later version" notice.

It is completely up to you, but I would certainly support the change
to GPLv3+. Make sure you keep the "or later" part though (ready for
GPLv4), and update the address information to be the URL as per the
recommended GPLv3 style.

This would be an example header if you decide to do this:

   Copyright (C) Andrew Tridgell                19xx-20xx
   Copyright (C) Joel Rossahl                   2010-2010

   the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
   (at your option) any later version.

   along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

Cheers, Tridge