[ccache] Re: [REGRESSION] Recent change to kernel spikes out ccache/distcc

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Thu Jan 15 13:40:47 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:11:14AM +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >So what's the current status on this, could we get it reverted ASAP or
> >add that CONFIG_ switch (default N)?
> >
> >Leaving the build system broken for so long just isn't cool.
>
> It is my understanding that Sam was looking at doing a partial revert first.
> If that doesn't work out, doing the CONFIG_* thing would be pretty trivial
> (I merged it into my local patch, and hence would simply have to extract it).

I just have a local branch, "emergency-fixes" which just reverts
commits ad7a953c and 9bb48247, which I pull in before doing full
builds.

You can also work around the bug by disabling CONFIG_MODVERSIONS; one
of my build configurations has almost no modules at all but it still
had CONFIG_MODVERSIONS disabled, so for my sniff tests build of
mainline where I don't want to pull in the emergency-fixes branch,
I've also dealt with the situation by disabling CONFIG_MODVERSIONS.

These are both hacks, but they do work around the problem...

      	       	      	       	       - Ted