[ccache] Re: [REGRESSION] Recent change to kernel spikes out ccache/distcc

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Tue Jan 6 18:04:14 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 06:48:25PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> I'm all ears for inputs how to make them even a little more readable.
> We actually used several iteratiosn of Jan's patch just to improve
> readability in areas the patch touched.
>
> I think at least half of the unreadability comes from the fact that
> people do not realise the steps needed to actually build the kernel.

Yeah, I thought about that a lot, but I couldn't come up with a
constructive suggestion.  The best I could come up with to have kbuild
generate a shell script helper or use a shell script helper to
actually build each .o file.  However, the speed hit probably makes
that unacceptable, although it would make it easier, I suspect, to use
that abstractionas part of making something which ccache or distcc
could use to cache (or distribute to a cluster) all of the steps
needed to build each object file.  Maybe a helper C program instead?

       	  	     	    	   	   - Ted