[ccache] New ccache User - Got Some Questions

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Jul 12 01:14:29 GMT 2006

On 11 Jul 2006, Naqib Khan <naqibn at nortel.com> wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Much appreciate the reply & useful INFO you've provided.  Can you
> clarify what is meant by:  "It only works with gcc or compilers that
> have similar external behaviour".  Is the "similiar external behavior"
> you are referring to the "-E" option?

No, there's more to it than that.  ccache makes assumptions about how
the compiler behaves which are correct for gcc.  This includes the
command line arguments and also other things, such as that there is a
single object file produced and nothing else.  They may be wrong for
other compilers.  If you look in the list archives you can find some
descriptions.

> Said in another way, how do I indentify which compilers will work with
> ccache?

Try them?  Or ask here about specific compilers, and maybe someone else
will have used them.

--
Martin