[ccache] ccache and -g

Chris Swiedler cswiedler at perpetual.com
Wed Jan 4 01:34:04 GMT 2006

Looking at CCACHE_UNIFY: what exactly is the problem mentioned in the
docs about using CCACHE_UNIFY, for example with debugging (gcc -g)? It
looks to me like the compiler is always run (on a cache miss) on the
original source, and the unification is done only for generating the
hash. If that's the case, how are compiler warning messages outputting
the wrong lines, and why is it forced off for debug compiles?

In terms of getting cache hits, forcing the unifier to be run (via
Steve's patch) fixes my problem, since it removes lines beginning with #
from the hash. That's a little more extreme than I need; I would be
happy if the unifier just ignored lines beginning with # which refer to
a directory instead of a file. In my case, the only line which is
different between the preprocessed output of two identical files in
different trees is the second line, which looks like

# 1 "/home/current/path//"

chris