[ccache] parallel builds with a high cache hit kill the local host

Timothee Besset ttimo at idsoftware.com
Fri Jan 7 22:34:15 GMT 2005

Mhh .. if my compiler is "distcc ccache" .. then I am splitting the cache checks on all the machines, right? Which means I greatly reduce the chance of cache hits really ( specially with 5 hosts involved ). And running ccache on the remote hosts and sharing the pool is a bit too much work than I'm ready to do really.

The machine becomes unresponsive .. in what way .. well .. when you have 15 processes grinding your hard drive and putting the load at 8-10 .. X11 and emacs get sluggish really :)

TTimo