[ccache] Other compilers (MSVC, SNSystem ProDG, Metrowerks CW)

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Sep 8 04:27:37 GMT 2004

On  7 Sep 2004, Anuj Goyal <anuj.goyal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried doing the port to win32, but did not get very far, windows
> does not have a nice fork() call like POSIX, one has to call
> CreateProcess and much with the Handle, it's not very pleasant.
>
> One also has to figure out howto do a mmap() call, I know one can use
> CreateMemoryMapping() or something to that effect, but I don't know
> the specifics, I was also trying to learn howto use the digitalmars
> compiler at the time (because it has syntax more similar to that of
> gcc), but I gave up in frustration.  There was a LOT of code that
> needed to be "ported" and that is not fun work, and it leads to ifdef
> hell.

Thanks for letting us know.

> I wish the companies that "support" open source (sun, ibm, hpux) would
> actually take note of ccache, it is an amazing tool and they only
> really have to modifiy ccache.c to get it working for their compiler.

I suspect the parts of those big companies that support open source
are somewhat separate from the parts that write the proprietary
compilers.

--
Martin

linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://linux.conf.au/  -  Call For Papers now open!
April 18th to 23rd   -   Canberra, Australia   -        closes on October 5