[ccache] CCACHE_PATH problem

Jon Stewart stew1 at ellipsis.cx
Sat Aug 28 23:41:20 GMT 2004

Hello -

I recently started using ccache. It rocks!! Sincere thanks to Andrew
Tridgell and all contributors.

My system's version of gcc is 3.3.4, which is installed in /usr/bin. I've
created soft links to ccache in /usr/local/bin, per the man page
recommendations. So far, so good, as /usr/local/bin comes before /usr/bin
in my path. However, for my own personal development I am using gcc 3.4.1,
which is installed in /usr/local/gcc-3.4.1/bin. I'd like all default
invocations of gcc from my user account to go through ccache to gcc 3.4.1.

So, I tried setting CCACHE_PATH in my ~/.bash_profile:

	CCACHE_PATH=/usr/local/gcc-3.4.1/bin

However, after re-logging in (I'm not savvy enough in bash to have it
reprocess my dot files, yet), issuing gcc --version gets me:

	gcc (GCC) 3.3.4

I checked and CCACHE_PATH is set to the above. Any ideas why CCACHE_PATH
is being ignored?

For the time being I'm inserting the path to gcc-3.4.1 between
/usr/local/bin and /usr/bin in my $PATH, using a very ugly sed command.
So, I'm up and running, but I'd much prefer using the right tool for the
job.

thanks!

Jon
--
Jon Stewart                                 Advanced Los Angeles C++
stew1 at ellipsis.cx                           http://www.alacpp.org