[ccache] stat() versus gcc -v in the hash

Michael McTernan Michael.McTernan at ttpcom.com
Mon Jul 19 08:33:09 GMT 2004

Hi,

The only problem with adding something like "gcc -v" is that it's specific
to the compiler (could be --v or -version etc...), and may also require the
compiler to be invoked twice (that or some cunning implementation tricks).
Getting info about the executable (mod time/size) seems like it would be
faster and also catch any case where the compiler was updated but the
version string unchanged (unlikely, unless you are developing the compiler
itself).  Realistically though, how often does the compiler executable get
touched without it really being updated?

Maybe an environment variable like CCACHE_TOOLID="-v" could be set to
indicate that the tools should be ran with a "-v" option instead of stating
the executable...  could be a nice patch.

Thanks,

Mike