[ccache] ccache misses most of the time

Jon Ringle jon.ringle at comdial.com
Tue Jun 8 19:54:17 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am having a problem getting ccache to retrieve cached results after a make
clean && make. But instead I mostly get cache misses and my cache size
increases. I am using ccache in front of cross compiler hosted on i686 target
arm-linux using the masquerading technique. Any insights as to why this is
happening would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

$ ccache -V
ccache version 2.3
Copyright Andrew Tridgell 2002
Released under the GNU GPL v2 or later
$ ls -l `which arm-linux-gcc`
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Jun  8 14:36
/usr/local/ccache/bin/arm-linux-gcc -> /opt/bin/ccache*
$ arm-linux-gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/arm-linux/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
$ ccache -C
Cleared cache
$ ccache -z
Statistics cleared
$ make clean && make
(build application to fill cache)

$ ccache -s
cache hit                              0
cache miss                           320
not a C/C++ file                      28
no input file                          5
files in cache                       640
cache size                          38.4 Mbytes
max files                           2000
max cache size                    1024.0 Mbytes
$ make clean && make
(build application again expecting mostly cache hits)

$ ccache -s
cache hit                              5
cache miss                           635
not a C/C++ file                      56
no input file                         10
files in cache                      1270
cache size                          76.2 Mbytes
max files                           2000
max cache size                    1024.0 Mbytes