[ccache] ccache, OS X and the CCACHE_LOGFILE setting

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed May 12 02:12:45 GMT 2004

On 11 May 2004, Jon Baumgartner <jon at bergenstreetsoftware.com> wrote:
> I just joined this list, and couldn't find this question anywhere in the
> archives. Sorry if this has been covered before.
>
> I've just installed ccache via fink on my OS X box. It's working really
> well, and has sped up my compiles noticeably.
>
> For some reason the log file is not being written to. I set the
> CCACHE_LOGFILE env. variable, and although ccache -s shows me items are
> being placed in the cache, the log file remains empty.
>
> The really weird part is it used to work. I think (I'm not positive)
> that it stopped working once I installed XCode 1.2.

Are you sure the environment variable is making it all the way down to
where ccache is invoked?

> Also, sort of related: when I ssh in to my box from work and try to
> compile, it seems ccache doesn't get used. It's only when I compile
> directly from that machine that I will see any effect. The env.
> variables are all the same. I set them in my .tcshrc. I'm not really
> sure why it would be different.

There are crazy complicated rules about which dotfiles are read by
shells and when.  They can be different for local logins and ssh
logins.  I don't know the details for tcsh off hand.

After you ssh in are the variables set?

--
Martin