[ccache] Re: [distcc] Problem: reuse of ccache files regardless of creating with/without distcc

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Nov 17 03:45:31 GMT 2003

On 21 Oct 2003, Heiko_Elger at arburg.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following problem - I want to reuse the cached file regardless they
> are created with or without distcc.
>
> I'm using distcc 2.11, Windows XP Professional, latest cygwin version.
>

> I call make with ccache but without distcc - so the cache is full.
> Delete the outputs and call again with ccache will - the objects are fetched
> from the cache.
>
> Delete the outputs and call again with ccache and distcc - the objects are not
> fetched from the cache but recreated.

This is by design.  The compiler is one of the variables used to check
for cache hits.  This helps make sure that if e.g the compiler is
upgraded, files will be rebuilt.

> 3.) compile with native gcc compiler using CCACHE and DISTCC (CCACHE_PREFIX)
> make -B -j10 CC="ccache c:/programme/cygwin/bin/gcc" src/backoff.o
> CCACHE_PREFIX=distcc & objdump -g src/backoff.o | head -n5
> ccache c:/programme/cygwin/bin/gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_GNU_SOURCE -I./src
> -DSYSCONFDIR="\"/usr/etc\""
>  -DPKGDATADIR="\"/usr/share/distcc\"" -I./lzo -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wimplicit
> -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -W
> cast-align -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-exte
> rns -o src/backoff.o -c src/backoff.c
>
> src/backoff.o:     file format pe-i386
>
> /src/backoff.c:
> typedef int32 int;
>
> As you see the output of the debug information (I think it's the path of the
> source) is not the same!

This is a known problem with gcc's debug information generator.

  http://distcc.samba.org/problems.html#gdb

--
Martin
                               linux.conf.au -- Adelaide, January 2004