[ccache] Re: How to debug ccache

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Mar 28 17:51:23 EST 2003

On 28 Mar 2003, Kris Coryn <Kris.Coryn at Pandora.be> wrote:

>From the "HOW IT WORKS" section of the manual:

  You detect that it is the same code by forming a hash of:

    * the pre-processor output from running the compiler with -E
    * the command line options
    * the real compilers size and modification time
    * any stderr output generated by the compiler

You need to make sure these are the same on both machines.  ccache
doesn't have any easy way to compare them automatically as far as I
know.  Basically I suppose you should just work through this list and
try to work out what is different.

> a simple hello_world.c program works fine, this say that i have configured the
> ccache good.

So for hello_world.c you see hits from the second machine as soon as
it's compiled?  I guess that tells you that at least some of the
headers and the compiler are the same.

> now i go working but i do a emerge world because it is a gentoo distro to be
> sure it al the tools are in sync.

Maybe somebody who knows more about Gentoo could help?

--
Martin