confused about orinoco driver versions -- need help

Andreas Heinemann aheine at gkec.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Nov 15 01:41:05 EST 2002

Hello,

I just got the 2.4.19 linux kernel sources from www.kernel.org.
Building the kernel works.

Then I wanted to compile the wireless extenstions, version 25. I
downloaded it from

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/contrib/wireless_tools.25.tar.gz

Compiling, i got the following warnings:
gcc -O2 -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes      -fPIC -c -o iwlib.so iwlib.c
iwlib.c:40:2: warning: #warning "Wireless Extension earlier than v15
detected,"
iwlib.c:41:2: warning: #warning "Not all tools features will be compiled
in !"
iwlib.c:42:2: warning: #warning "No worry, I'll try to make the best of
it ;-)"

my question is, what do i have to do, to get all tools features
compiled. I think i need to update the driver, because somehow the
driver and the tools have to be in 'development' sync.

looking through the sources i found in

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/wireless.h

/***************************** VERSION *****************************/
/*
  * This constant is used to know the availability of the wireless
  * extensions and to know which version of wireless extensions it is
  * (there is some stuff that will be added in the future...)
  * I just plan to increment with each new version.
  */
#define WIRELESS_EXT    13

i don't thing, that it is save, just to increase this number.

looking at the orinoco driver coming with the kernel, i found out, that
the version shipped is 0.11b. (compare
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.c )

this is different to the information i found at the following webside:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.html#Orinoco