[Samba] file sharing using native NFS4 ACLs on Linux

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Wed May 15 12:13:33 UTC 2024

Op 15-05-2024 om 14:04 schreef Rowland Penny via samba:
> On Wed, 15 May 2024 13:02:24 +0200
> mathias dufresne via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Le mer. 15 mai 2024 à 12:32, Rowland Penny via samba
>> <samba at lists.samba.org> a écrit :

>>> Re sharing an NFS filesystem by Samba isn't a good idea.
>>>
>> Agreed. But I'm not necessarily the one who decides...

>>> And the point to that would be ???
>>>
>>> The point is to share twice the same space. Even though that does
>>> not
>> sound like a great idea to me, it is the same remark as previously
>> written.
>>
>> There are other options than NFS but the blocking point is still the
>> lack of NFS4 ACLs support on Linux.
>>

>>> You might be able to do this on one of the BSDs, but not on Linux
>>> and as I already mentioned, sharing an NFS filesystem via Samba
>>> isn't a good idea.
>>>
>> What's missing to get Samba on Linux systems to be able to fully use
>> NFS4 ACLs?
>> - some code in Samba
>> - some improvements in NFS4 ACLs implementations (at least one)
>> - a bit of both?
> No, If I understand it right, you need to convince someone called Linus
> to allow them into the Linux kernel, good luck with that ;-)

This indeed the situation for the nfs4-kernel-server. The Linux
nfs4-client does support nfs4acls, according to
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/NFS4_ACL_overview

As a result Samba stores ntacls (very similar to nfs4acls) in an extend
attribute instead, that is if you have acl_xattr enabled in vfs_objects.

- Kees.