[Samba] file sharing using native NFS4 ACLs on Linux

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed May 15 11:02:24 UTC 2024

Le mer. 15 mai 2024 à 12:32, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
a écrit :

> On Wed, 15 May 2024 10:36:03 +0200
> mathias dufresne via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Is it possible on Linux systems to share through SMB managed by Samba
> > some NFS4 mounted FS and that Samba is using NFS4 ACLs only?
>
> Re sharing an NFS filesystem by Samba isn't a good idea.

Agreed. But I'm not necessarily the one who decides...

> > The point would be to not store anything on Samba regarding ACLs...
>
> And the point to that would be ???
>
> The point is to share twice the same space. Even though that does not
sound like a great idea to me, it is the same remark as previously written.

There are other options than NFS but the blocking point is still the lack
of NFS4 ACLs support on Linux.

> You might be able to do this on one of the BSDs, but not on Linux and
> as I already mentioned, sharing an NFS filesystem via Samba isn't a
> good idea.

What's missing to get Samba on Linux systems to be able to fully use NFS4
ACLs?
- some code in Samba
- some improvements in NFS4 ACLs implementations (at least one)
- a bit of both?