[Samba] Samba DC and alternate sudo login

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue May 14 00:10:20 UTC 2024

I feel like this should be super easy, and that I must be doing something dumb, but I need to create another sudo user for the VM's the DC's are running on.

I've created a "domain admin" equivalent user in AD - and perhaps this account can be used.
I also attempted to create a local user and add them to the local sudo group, but that didn't seem to work.

But I don't *need* an AD account. I can simply create a local user on each DC for sudo use, but I'll need a way that works.
(When I attempt to create the local user, it prompts for the password, and then an NT password. And when I try to SSH/login to that local account, it fails.)

What's the most straight-forward approach to this?

Other details:
OS: Ubuntu 20.04
MJT packages: 4.16.11 (Yeah, I know there are newer packages, but haven't moved to 4.18/19/20 yet. It's on the list tho.)

TIA

-Greg