[Samba] samba debian & ubuntu builds

Arnaud FLORENT aflorent at iris-tech.fr
Mon May 13 08:18:08 UTC 2024

Hi Michael

For us, we now update to 4.18 so we do not need 4.16 series anymore

I understand you want to remove older release, but i think you should
always keep published releases available even if they are outdated.

Some config are sometimes not always compatible with next samba release
and it can take some times to fix.

For exemple, we recently have to deal with %I variable not set in root
preexec script.

Additionally, if someone needs to reinstall a 20.04 server for example,
he may need to be able to reinstall 4.16 4.17 or 4.18.

ubuntu 20.04 is old but it is a LTS version, so event if you can not
build 4.19 and up, admins may need to install latest samba release
available.

Ubuntu LTS is maintained for 10 years total: 5 years of standard support
+ 5 years of ESM

so you should at least not remove ubuntu/ debian release before...

once again thank you very much for your work, it really helps us.

--
Arnaud FLORENT
IRIS Technologies