[Samba] Samba domain name in short format

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 7 05:43:31 UTC 2024

On Tue, 7 May 2024 01:34:58 +0000
"Sun, Zhongdong via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I forgot to mention this. All these strange behaviors occurred when
> winbind was turned off.

You cannot turn winbind off on a Samba AD domain member, it must be
running and if winbind is running, you do not need sssd.

> If I turn on winbind, this problem could be
> resolved, i.e. at least it allowed me to login as YALE\zs24, but it
> always said 'access is denied' even I input the correct password.
> Maybe something wrong with the Samba settings. Here is my smb.conf
> file. Anything looks unusual? I'm not sure about the ipmap config
> part, especially the range and backend.
>
> Thanks.
> Zhongdong
>
> [global]
>
>         netbios name = HECATE
>         workgroup = YALE
>         realm = YU.YALE.EDU
>         server string = PET Center Samba Server
>         security = ADS
>        #2017-11-23 zs24, allow ntlm which is still used by some local
> accounts and old Windows XP machines. ntlm auth = yes
>         client NTLMv2 auth = yes
>         client lanman auth = no
>         client plaintext auth  = no
>         min protocol = NT1
>
>     kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>     idmap config * : backend = tdb
>     idmap config * :  range = 10000-199999
>     idmap config YALE : backend = sss
>     idmap config YALE : range = 200000-2147483647
>     machine password timeout = 0

I have very little knowledge about the 'sss' idmap backend, mainly
because I do not use it, but the above appears to be correct.

You say that 'yu.yale.edu\zs24' works, but 'YALE\zs24' doesn't. The
first is using the dns domain and the second is using the NetBIOS
domain name (aka workgroup). I use the 'rid' idmap backend with winbind
and it is the opposite way around for me 'SAMDOM\rowland' works,
'samdom.example.com\rowland' doesn't.

As you do not have a redhat contract, can I suggest you setup a Rocky
Linux 9 machine (in a VM will do) and I will talk you through setting
up a Unix domain member on it using winbind, that way you will be able
to see what works.

Rowland